Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Perks of On-line Education

I just sat through my first recorded "breeze" class session. Talk about convenience. I like to take online classes because I live in Moose Jaw and have a really busy life. I felt that ECMP 355 was really geared toward the busy student with the prof offering two televised/online sessions a week for the class. Just when I thought that things were great...they just got better!!! I can now watch the class at anytime during the week that works best for me!!! I was even able to scroll around on the screen and click on the links that were provided (although I wasn't able to vote on how I felt the class was going-it would have been all good though!)
I am also really excited about doing a WebQuest for the major project. Talk about learning how to do something that will be useful for when I am a teacher! Which brings me to another topic that I would like to complain about for a moment...
It really annoys and frustrates me when I am in an education class and I am learning information that is totally useless-hey Laurie? I would think that after you have successfully completed your painful first year of nonsense classes - that have nothing to do with your future profession (I know that some good comes out of the first year-just sympathize with me for the time being-I think I "bombed" a midterm today!) the rest of your learning would maybe be a little more relevant. Hence my thankfulness for the practicality of ECMP 355.
Thanks for listening, Jane.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane,

I can understand your frustration. We are paying $500+ for each class. I think it is important to remember that there is relevance in every course we take. We may not find connections to the teaching profession on the surface but we can find value. For exmaple, now you will know how a student will feel in a class they find irrelevant. What will you do as a teacher to make sure that a student does not feel the way you do? Also, at all times we as teachers are held up to a high standard. We are expected to enjoy learning and to be passionate about it. Sometimes the topics can be dull but we cannot claim to know it all. Perhaps if we focus our attention on the fact that we are lifelong learners, we can find relevance admist the irrelevance. I hope your midterm mark turns out to be better than you think.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

Thanks for putting it into perspective Erin. You seem to have a gift with doing that. Anyways that midterm mark "sucked"-my worst university mark ever! I guess I will have to start putting my nose to the grind!
Jane.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll form a study group for the next mid-term and all get 80's!

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home