Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Technology In Early Childhood

Yes, I know that I said I am on my way to the lake to start my digital story telling adventure, but I let my family go ahead and I will catch up after this blog.
I want to reflect on what a fellow student believes about technology and learners in kindergarten and grade one. Here is Ronda's blog. Make sure to read the comments on her last blog too...she is getting some great feedback from others.

In response to her blog, I want to share and reflect upon an expereince in my ELNG 325 The Teaching of Writing University Class at the University of Regina. A component of the class was to blog on a regular basis with Kathy Cassidy and her grade one and two class. If you go to her Blogmeister Blog , you will find blogs about the expereince such as the initial blog that I cut and pasted that introduces the expereince:

We're back and hard at work. For the next few months, we're going to have some special people reading and commenting on our blogs. The students in Patrick Lewis's "learning how to teach writing" class at the University of Regina will all be paired with one of my children for the next few months. This seems like an ideal match. The students get to see the actual development of a child's writing skills and to contribute to that development. My students get to have someone regularly reading their blogs and leaving comments for them. Today when I told the students about it there was a corporate intake of breath and a "yay!".

Welcome. I'm excited about the possibilites of this pairing.
Article posted # January 8, 2007 at 05:06 PM • comment (5) • Reads 1211.

These are the dates of the entries Kathy made in regards to the on going expereience:
February 12, 2007, when our fabulous professor Patrick Lewis made a story telling guest appearance; Februaru 21, 2007, when our class connected with Kathy's class using Skype; March 9, 2007, when we Skyped again; March 26, 2007, when Patrick visited the class again and on April 4, 2007, when our class visited Kathy's for a wrap up.

Going through her blog is testament enough to the benefits her learners had through the expereince! If nothing else was gained, I am sure their expereinces were widely expanded!

So as a future teacher, I believe that providing learners with technological expereinces is crucial to "broadening their horizons". It is all in how a "master" teacher uses her imagination to incorporate technology into the curriculum (as I said in an earlier blog) and how they choose to balance it! The age of the learner does not diminish the endless possibilities!

OK...must get to the lake!

3 Comments:

Blogger DRS said...

The lake sounds like a plan.

You are right to identify Kathy as a Master teacher. Technology doesn't make good teachers but does amplify good teaching.

Technical tip: if you're copying/quoting another blog, use the indent feature in formatting so it's easier to see it's a quote.

Thanks for using lots of links now go enjoy the lake!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

I see what you mean Dean. A not so great teacher could be using technology in the classroom too...
When you talk about the indent feature for quotes, I am not sure what you are talking about!

6:50 PM  
Blogger DRS said...

there should be a formatting feature that indents or tabs ...it will display text indented and thus show it's a quote.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home